‘Here’s to the happy couple!’

This is one of four wedding gifts that were given to Frederick Walter Wren (1876-1944) and Harriet Kemp (1877-1954) to mark their wedding in 1898.  Frederick was a straw carter, and later a market gardener, in Dagenham.  Made with glass beads pinned to a cushion, these types of ornaments were very fashionable during the Victorian period.