A Lady of the Fanshawe family
A Lady of the Fanshawe family, once thought to be Mary Fanshawe (1747-1811), wife of John Gascoyne Fanshawe, 6th of Parsloes. Now thought to possibly be Mary Fanshawe's mother, Sarah, nee Williams, wife of John Parkinson of Prescott, Lancs., and Jamaica. The Parkinson family can be traced back to the year 1500, when they changed their name from Featherstonhaugh.
Bust length portrait of a woman wearing a pink and gold watered silk damask dress with winged sleeves. She has a cream stomacher with blue ribbon laces. The low neckline of the dress is decorated with a white lace ruffle which has a line of pearls along the middle length and a pink brooch at its center front.She has a pale blue and gold watered silk damask shawl which is edged in gold over her left arm. She wears a small frilled cap with pink bow on her brown hair. She also has gold drop earrings. Set on a plain brown background.
It is possible that on 23rd May 1777, John Parkinson was granted, by William Miles of Bristol, the property of Old Hope Plantation in Westmoreland, Jamaica, with slaves, other stock and assignments of mortgages thereon. Conducted via John Tharp of Trelawnly, Jamaica, attorney to William Miles. (WWW.bromfield.us/archives/tharp_papers_2.html) Also, that in 1757 he owned Kendal Estate, a sugar property a few miles due north of Egypt in Hanover Parish, Jamaica. (Burnard, T. Mastery, tyranny and desire) Westmoreland is the westernmost parish in Jamaica on the south side of the island, to the south of Hanover. The Parish of Trelawnly is in the County of Cornwall on the west side of the island of Jamaica.
Whole height: 1010mm
Canvas height: 740mm
Visual arts, Fanshawe Portraits