Barking Power Station: Visitors Centre

Object number

LDVAL 2005.17.5

Date

c. 1995

Description

Small coloured booklet advertising Barking Power Station. Has a fold out section at the back that presents key facts to the facility and shows the same 3D schematic of the turbine room and site plan as LDVAL 2005.17.4.

King George V opened the coal-fired Barking Power Station in 1925 although it had been running for some months before this official ceremony. It was built to provide electricity for a large part of Essex as well as for part of Kent and, by the time its four separate sections were completed, it was the largest steam powered station in Europe with a total output of some 100 megawatts of electricity. This electricity was fed into the National Grid for general consumption.

The site, where River Road, Barking, meets the Thames, was chosen because it was easily accessible for the constant stream of coal ships bringing deliveries.

With the decline in coal-produced electricity, the Station started a redundancy programme in the 1970s and finally closed in November 1981. The buildings were then demolished.

Today, a new Barking Power Station exists, sited in Chequers Road, Dagenham, beside the Breach. Construction started in March 1992 and it took 2000 people three years to build. The Station was commissioned in 1995.

This was the first independent power project in southeast England to operate within the newly privatised electricity industry and was the first large generating station to be built in Greater London for more than 30 years. Run by Thames Power, a company jointly owned by Atco Power and Balfour Beatty, the plant is gas-fired and uses advanced combined-cycle technology. This enhances fuel efficiency and reduces emissions by utilising the heat recovered from the gas turbine to power a steam turbine to generate more electricity.

Running 24 hours a day for 365 days a year, the Station has a 1000 megawatt output with one of the best environmental records in Europe and provides more than 20% of London's peak need or over one-third of its annual consumption.

Conditions governing reproduction

NOT vhm

Physical description

Small coloured booklet showing a view of the power plant from across the Breach. Page 1: Barking Power; Page 2: Barking Power and the Environment; Page 3: Making Electricty from Gas; Page 4: The Gas Turbine and The Combined Cycle; Page 5: Key Facts; Page 6 & 7: fold out section with diagrams.

Condition

Good

Type

Booklet

Size

Whole length: 210mm
width: 148mm

Collection type

Ephemera

Alternative reference

Entry Number 1631/5 (2005-08-30)

Looking for records

Objects that are not on display in the museum can be viewed by appointment at the discretion of the Museum Curator. To find out more about accessing the collection please email: valencehousemuseum@lbbd.gov.uk or telephone: 020 8227 2034

Write something

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Gallery

Metadata
Start datec. 1995
InstitutionValence House Museum
TypeBooklet
Collection typeEphemera