Borough of Dagenham and its predecessors, 1926-1965
1926 – 1965
Exact extent unknown until arrangement and description is complete.
This collection comprises the minute books, departmental records, financial accounts, correspondence and photographs of the Borough of Dagenham and its predecessors, including Dagenham Urban District Council (1926-1965), relating to the management of the council, general purposes and open spaces, public health and housing, libraries, highways and street lighting, welfare, education, town planning, finance and rates.
Dagenham Urban District Council was established in April 1926. This new council, composed of primarily members of the old parish council and was led by the first chairman, Mr A. E. Reeve, set up its offices at Valence House. The new council was responsible for public health, drainage, cleansing, allotments and the fire brigade, previously undertaken in Dagenham by Romford Rural District Council. In addition to this it purchased lands for parks and cemeteries, established clinics and introduced electric lighting. During the interwar years these services grew and expanded. As a result the Civic Centre was built and then opened by Sir Kingsley Wood on 16 October 1937. The council became a Municipal Borough, known as the Borough of Dagenham and the Charter was presented by George Lansbury on 1 October 1938.
Conditions governing access
Open to research.
Conditions governing reproduction
At the discretion of the Borough Archivist.
Catalogued by Clare Sexton, Assistant Archivist in accordance with ISAD(G).