January 7th, 1951
Hire-purchase receipt for a Marconiphone television and radio combination set. Issued by Bowmaker Limited of Bournemouth, Industrial bankers, and made out to Mr Arthur William Henry Washtell of 21 Campden Crescent, Dagenham. The document is dated 7th September 1951. The new television/radio set cost £84.5.0, but had a hire-purchase price of £90.3.0, which the hirer (Mr Washtell) agreed to pay in 12 monthly installments of £5.7.9 on the 7th day of each month. In an envelope that is stamped on the front in red with the detail of Mutual Insurance, a date stamp from London SW1 for 1-11-56, and a pre-paid stamp. The Marconi set was used by Arthur and his wife Elizabeth in their property at Campden Crescent, and their later home in Bentry Road, Dagenham. Used by the Washtell family until c1985.
Single sheet of foolscap paper, printed on both sides in black ink. Has blank spaces for the insertion of hand written details. These blank fields have been completed in blue biro. The reverse issues printed instructions to the hirer. In the top left corner is stapled 2 printed tokens giving information on the insurance of the object, and retaining the copy of the agreement as the hirer's copy. Signed in three separate places by the hirer, a representative of Bowmaker Limited, and a witness to the hirers signature. Has a perforated edge on the left hand side, where it has been removed from a copy book.
After World War I, the Marconi's wireless telegraph co.Ltd began producing non-industrial receivers, principally for the amateur market, at the Soho premises of The Marconi Scientific Instrument Company. In 1922, the Marconi Company formed the ‘Marconiphone’ department, to design, manufacture and sell domestic receiving equipment. This equipment complied with Post Office specifications and tests, and was therefore awarded the BBC authorisation stamp; initially sets were made at the Chelmsford Works. In December 1923, the 'Marconiphone' department was formed as a subsidiary of the Marconi Company. Some Marconiphone Company sets were made at the Sterling Telephone Company (STC) Works at Dagenham. However, design and research of these domestic receivers still continued at Chelmsford. In December 1929, the Marconiphone was sold to the Gramophone Company, along with the right to use the trademark ‘Marconiphone’ and the copyright signature ‘G. Marconi’ on domestic receivers. The Marconi Company never re-entered the domestic radio market. In 1931 the Gramophone Company became Electric and Musical Industries (EMI) and produced domestic and radio receivers using the Marconiphone trademark until 1956, when receivers were made by the British Radio Corporation, under licence. To conclude, many domestic receivers were produced bearing the Marconiphone trademark, but the ones produced after 1929 had no connection with the Marconi Company.(Wikipedia)
Whole length: 339mm
Entry Number 1669/2 (2006-11-21)