Ornately decorated framed illuminated address. The border is decorated with brightly painted and gilt flowers and vines. In the top left corner is an image of Barking Town Hall. In the right corner is the Magistrates Court, Barking. In the lower left corner the Civic Centre, Dagenham is represented and in the lower left corner is Valence House Museum, Dagenham. Written throughout in black, blue, red and green ink, it bears the crest of Barking and Dagenham at centre top and the Borough seal in the lower right corner.
Whole length: 540mm
Ephemera, Local government
Inscription Written On front: London Borough of / Barking and Dagenham. / This testimonial is presented to / Mr / Stanley Watson Barker / by the Council of the London Borough of Barking / and Dagenham on the occasion of his / Retirement from the Office of Town Clerk. / Mr. Barkers local government service commenced / in 1940 when, after a period as a Solicitor in private / practice, he was appointed Assistant Solicitor with / Crewe Corporation, later becoming Deputy Town Clerk / of Crewe. In 1946 he came to the Borough of Barking / as Deputy Town Clerk and in 1964 on the reorgan- / isation of London Government he became Deputy / Town Clerk of the new London Borough. Later / he was invited by the Council to accept the / appointment of Town Clerk, an office he has held / with distinction since 1st May 1973. / The Council have pleasure in recording the / high esteem in which Mr. Barker is held. As an / appreciation of his valued services to the London / Borough of Barking and Dagenham over 33 years / they have accorded to him the honorary designation / of Emerittis Town Clerk of the Boroughs. They / earnestly hope he may enjoy very many years of / happy retirement. / Given under the Common Seal / of the Mayor and Burgesses of / the London Borough of Barking and / Dagenham this twenty-third day / of January 1980. / SIGNED L.A. Rollins MAYOR / D. Farr TOWN CLERK.
Entry Number T535 (1992-05-14)