L.E.S.S.A. Barking Area 10th annual dinner and dance
Programme for the London Electricity Sports and Social Association (L.E.S.S.A.) Barking Area tenth annual dinner and dance, 1975. Belonged to William John Mundy (decesaed), father of donor, who worked at Barking Power Station until its closure in 1981.
King George V opened the coal-fired Barking Power Station in 1925 although it had been running for some months before this official ceremony. It was built to provide electricity for a large part of Essex as well as for part of Kent and, by the time its four separate sections were completed, it was the largest steam powered station in Europe with a total output of some 100 megawatts of electricity. This electricity was fed into the National Grid for general consumption.
The site, where River Road, Barking, meets the Thames, was chosen because it was easily accessible for the constant stream of coal ships bringing deliveries.
Importantly, there was no shortage of coal during World War II which allowed the crucial energy supply to continue. From 1935, emergency coal stocks were built up at Samuel Williams's Dagenham Docks during the summer for use by several of the Thames-side power stations during the winter. The station also escaped serious bombing – thought to be, in part, because of the smoke it produced which obscured the buildings themselves and offered some protection to the nearby factory of Fords.
Although the unloading of the coal and its delivery into the boilers was mechanical, there was much dirty, heavy and dangerous work to be done such as cleaning the boilers out and lagging the huge pipes. As a result, the Station did not take female employees before 1940. Until then, even the clerical and secretarial work had been done by men. Fine coal dust covered everything, including the contents of the offices.
At its height, Barking Power Station ran its own football and cricket clubs and had a darts team but with the decline in coal-produced electricity, the Station started a redundancy programme in the 1970s and finally closed in November 1981. The buildings were then demolished.
Today, another new Barking Power Station exists, sited in Chequers Road, Dagenham, beside the Breach. Construction started in March 1992 and it took 2000 people three years to build.
Folded sheet of paper inside cardboard covers. Printed on centre pages only. Front cover shows a white banner hung on a decorative gold horn. The banner is trimmed with pink tassels and has a pink printed dedication in the centre. A pink tasseled cord is draped along the length of the horn and hangs down either side of the banner. The horn is embossed in gold. The text on the centre pages is printed in maroon ink and details the event menu, the toast list and the dance programme.
Whole length: 222mm
Typescript Printed On front: LONDON ELECTRICITY SPORTS AND SOCIAL ASSOCIATION BARKING AREA TENTH ANNUAL DINNER and DANCE CHAIRMAN Mr. B. VICKERS Station Superintendent Barking SOCIAL SECRETARY Mr. E. HORN
Typescript Printed On centre pages: Menu Minestrone Fillet Danish Plaice au Citron Roast Shoulder Lamb, Lemon Mint Sauce Roast Potatoes Creamed Potatoes Buttered Garden Peas Devon Apple Tart & Vanilla Ice Cream Cheese Board Coffee French Bread & Butter Toasts H. M. THE QUEEN Proposed by Mr. B. Vickers Station Superintendent Barking THE VISITORS Proposed by Mr. B. Vickers Response by Mr. W. J. Prior, C. Eng., F.I.E.E. Director General C.E.G.B. South Eastern Region THE LADIES Proposed by Mr. A. Chase Deputy Station Superintendent Barking Programme Dancing to HARRY POOLE & HIS BAND Featuring EDNA POOLE Cabaret LIMELIGHT featuring THE KONYOTS Your master of ceremonies for the Evening Mr. L. James
Entry Number 1684/1 (2007-04-23)