Marconiphone television and radio combination set. Purchased on the 7th September 1951 by Mr Arthur William Henry Washtell of 21 Campden Crescent, Dagenham. Used by Arthyr and his wife Elizabeth in this property, and their later home in Bentry Road, Dagenham. Used by the Washtell family until c1985. Item bought on hire-purchase from Bowmaker Limited of Bournemouth.
Item Specification: Model number – VRC54DA, Serial number – 92581. Consol set. AC/DC mains supply. 10” tube, 19 valves. Hard valve time-based oscillator. Permanent magnet focus. EHT=5.5Kv, fly back voltage. Sound=1/R4. Original cost price £57.16.10
Tall, angular free standing unit that comprises a television and radio. Cased in wood that is covered in oak vaneer, with brown plastic knobs. The bottom section contains the speaker. The middle section contains the television screen and volume and brightness controls for such. The top section contains the radio dial and controls. A TONE control is on the left side and the TV/OFF/RADIO switch on the right.
After World War I, the Marconi's wireless telegraph co.Ltd began producing non-industrial receivers, principally for the amateur market, at the Soho premises of The Marconi Scientific Instrument Company. In 1922, the Marconi Company formed the ‘Marconiphone’ department, to design, manufacture and sell domestic receiving equipment. This equipment complied with Post Office specifications and tests, and was therefore awarded the BBC authorisation stamp; initially sets were made at the Chelmsford Works. In December 1923, the 'Marconiphone' department was formed as a subsidiary of the Marconi Company. Some Marconiphone Company sets were made at the Sterling Telephone Company (STC) Works at Dagenham. However, design and research of these domestic receivers still continued at Chelmsford. In December 1929, the Marconiphone was sold to the Gramophone Company, along with the right to use the trademark ‘Marconiphone’ and the copyright signature ‘G. Marconi’ on domestic receivers. The Marconi Company never re-entered the domestic radio market. In 1931 the Gramophone Company became Electric and Musical Industries (EMI) and produced domestic and radio receivers using the Marconiphone trademark until 1956, when receivers were made by the British Radio Corporation, under licence. To conclude, many domestic receivers were produced bearing the Marconiphone trademark, but the ones produced after 1929 had no connection with the Marconi Company.(Wikipedia)
Whole height: 935mm
Makers Mark Printed On front: G. Marconi
Makers Mark Printed On top: Marconiphone
Entry Number 1669 (2006-11-21)