Masters Army and Navy Safety Matches
after 1919 – before 1927
An empty box of used Masters Army and Navy Safety Matches. Made by the Abbey Match Works in Barking. The match works opened as JonKoping & Vulcan's Abbey Match Works in 1908-1910. In 1919 The match works were taken over by JJ Masters and then, in 1927, they became part of the British Match Corporation Ltd. By 1921 it employed 530 workers, the most of any of the industries in Barking.
Small rectangular match box. Has the Masters logo on top and bottom of cover, which shows a cavalry man on the left and a sailor on the right. Has striking pads on both of its long side. The drawer is covered in a pale blue paper.
Whole length: 58mm
Inscription Printed On front and back: MASTERS ARMY & NAVY BRTISH MADE SAFETY MATCHES ABBEY MATCH WORKS, BARKING, ESSEX
Entry Number 1641 (2006-02-09)