Pesci Bros. sign (to be completed)
Glass sign from the front of Pesci Bros fish and chip shop, Ripple Road, Barking. In four parts - Part a shows ?Pes?, part b shows ? ci Bros?, Part c is plain, Part d is smaller plain.
Gioachino Pesci (b1895) moved from Bardi, Parma, Italy to Merthyr Tydfil in 1912, and opened a Pesci family fish & chip shop. In 1934 the family moved to Barking and opened a new fish & chip shop at no.15 Broadway. This was compulsorily purchased by Barking Council a few years later for the building of the new Town Hall. However, WWII delayed the building work and a rag and bone man moved into the property. At this time there was only one other fish & chip shop in Barking - Bones’ on East Street.
In 1939 the family opened a new shop at 26 Ripple Road, which prior to that had been Harris’ sweet shop. They reused the counter and some etched glass panels from the original shop. The remaining glass panels were sent to Italy.
Gioacchino, his wife Guiliana, sons Carlo and Mario and daughter (?) lived at the back of the shop, with a living room and kitchen downstairs and bedrooms upstairs. By the 1950’s the business was so popular that it was using 800 weight of potatoes on a Friday alone. They also used to make their own wine. However, the popularity of the business meant that the seating area of the shop needed to be extended in the 1960s. Glennys (who had the premises next door) were hired to build an extension to the first floor, and the family moved completely upstairs.
The extended Pesci family also owned two other fish & chip shops in Barking and Dagenham. Gioacchino’s brother Sam ran a shop at 446 Hedgemans Road, Dagenham, and his other brother John ran one at 6 Reede Road, Dagenham. After their father’s death Carlo and Mario ran the Barking Shop. They continued to run the business until 1998, when they retired. The property is now (2008) earmarked for demolition as part of the Barking Regeneration plan. Mr Pesci has moved back to Italy.
Panel a height: 920mm
Panel b height: 920mm
Panel c height: 920mm
Panel d height: 920mm
All panels thickness: 3mm