Reverend Thomas Lewis Fanshawe (1792-1858), 8th of Parsloes
Born in 1792, Thomas Lewis Fanshawe was the 4th and youngest son of John Gascoyne Fanshawe (see no.32) and his wife Mary Parkinson (see no.28). His second name honours his Godfather, Lewis Cage of Coombe by Maidstone. As a young boy he had delicate health and was not expected to live to 15. He attended Eton from 1803 to 1810, and matriculated at St. Mary's Hall, Oxford on 19th March 1812. He took his B.A. Degree in 1816 and his M.A. in 1819. Thomas was ordained Deacon on 9th June 1816, and Priest on 22nd September following. On 5th November 1816 he was presented to the Vicarage of Dagenham, where he remained until 1857, when he resigned owing to ill health. On 11th October he married Catherine Le Marchant at St. Martin's Church, Guernsey. Together they had six Children: Catherine (1822-1841); John Gaspard (1824-1903); Helen (1826-1917); Mary (b. & d. 1827); Thomas Basil (1829-1905) (see no.LDVAL 2004.5.4); and Richard (1831-1902). During his time as Vicar of Dagenham, he presented a pair of stocks to the village (Old Dagenham Village) in 1819, which were never used during his lifetime, and he built a small school for the poorest children of his district. Just a few months after resigning his living at Dagenham, Thomas Lewis Fanshawe died, on 5th March 1858. His was buried in his own church (Dagenham Parish) on 17th March that year. The east window in the church was erected to his memory in 1878.
Bust length portrait of a seated man turned slightly to his left but facing the artist. He is wearing a dark coat, a white shirt with standing collar and a wide, black stock. He is balding, but has wispy fair hair on the sides and whickers. He is sitting on a carved red-wood chair, which is visible over his right shoulder. Plain brown background.
Whole height: 350mm
Panel height: 190mm
Entry Number 4