after 1766 – before 1803
Iron bound oak silver chest that once belonged to John Gascoyne Fanshawe (1746-1803). Bears his name on a brass plaque on the front of the chest. Would have been used to store and transport silver ware. Found in Bonhams county sale at Honiton, Devon, described as a travelling trunk. John Gascoyne Fanshawe was the only son of Thomas Fanshawe (see LDVAL 17) and his wife Ann (nee Gascoyne). After studying at Westminster (1754-1763) and Oxford (1767-1770) he entered Lincoln's Inn (16th October 1766) and was called to the bar in 1775. In 1769 he became a commissioner of Bankruptcy and a J.P. for Essex. On 19th May 1772 he married Mary Parkinson (See LDVAL 28), with whom he had five children, all born in London and baptised at St. Andrew's, Holborn: John (1773-1843) (see LDVAL 23 & LDVAL 38); Henry (1774-1854); Charles (1776-1800); Mary Annetta (1783-1840); Thomas Lewis (1792-1858) (see LDVAL 4). John's waistcoat is said to have measured 32.5 inches in length and 49 inches in girth. In 1793 he took up residence at Parsloes Manor House. John Gascoyne Fanshawe died on 23rd December 1803, perhapse after a long illness as his son Henry laid a foundation stone of the new church at Dagenham for him in 1801. He was first of the family to be buried in the vault of the Dagenham Parish Church.
Large oak chest with iron fittings (support bands, handles, castors, lock and key). Two handles at front and one on either end. Mounted on castors. There are two hinged arms attached to the lid that fit over padlock loops for security (padlocks no longer present). Has engraved brass plaque on front, above which is a brass face plate for the key hole. Top lifts up, and is supported by two fabric straps. The inside is divided into four compartments. The large top section is separated from the bottom section by a sheet of pine, and the shallower bottom section is, in turn, divided into 3 compartments.
Purchased by antiques dealer from Bonhams County Sale, in Honiton, Devon for £155
Whole length: 963mm
Inscription Engraved On plaque: INo. Gascoyne Fanshawe ESQr.
|Start date||after 1766|
|End date||before 1803|
|Institution||Valence House Museum|
|Collection type||Social history|