Sir John Comyns (1667-1740)
A portrait of Judge Sir John Comyns (1667-1740); Judge; barrister, Lincoln's Inn, 1690; M.P. for Maldon, 1701-26; Sergeant-at-law, 1705; Baron of the Exchequer, 1726; Justice of the Common Pleas, 1736; Chief Baron of the Exchequer, 1738; author of the Reports of cases...., 1744 and A Digest of the Laws of England, 1762. John was the grandson of a Dagenham tanner who prospered sufficiently to send his son (john's father) to Queen's College, Cambridge. The tanner's timber framed hose, across the road from Dagenham Parish Church, dates from c1500 and is now the Cross Keys P.H., and the oldest secular building in the borough. Sir John built Hylands mansion at Widford near Chelmsford about 1728. His tomb at Writtle Church is surmounted by a bust by Sir Henry Cheere.
Three quarter length portrait of a seated man wearing a brown clerical costume with white shirt and lace cravat. He has a full bottomed wig. His left hand is on his hip and his right hand rests lightly in his lap. A landscape is visible over his right shoulder.
Canvas height: 1120mm
Frame height: 1440mm