This definitive work on the influential Fanshawe family was published in 1927. Over 500 pages long, it includes pedigrees of many different branches of the family and a comprehensive index.
The Fanshawes have had a long connection with Barking and Dagenham. One branch lived at the Manor of Jenkins from the 1560s, covering what is now Mayesbrook Park, while another purchased the Manor of Parsloes in Dagenham in 1619. They also owned Valence House and its estate for a while, and played a major role in local society, being Lords of the Manor of Barking from 1630 to 1857. Family members who made their mark nationally included Sir Richard Fanshawe, who served as Ambassador to Spain and Portugal under Charles II.
In 1963 the family made a very generous donation of portraits, archives and books to Valence House. Many of the books were from the personal collection of H.C. Fanshawe, and used by him when writing this history of the family and also his definitive edition of the Memoirs of Lady Ann Fanshawe. The books form a comprehensive library of the Civil War and Restoration era. H.C. Fanshawe often annotated them with handwritten notes and listed page numbers which contain Fanshawe references.
This book is at shelf number E1(929.2) in the Fanshawe family section.