Avery weighing scales
Set of Avery weighing scales used to weigh sweets. From Franklin's Sweet Shop, High Road, Chadwell Heath (opposite the Baptist Church). The shop was owned by Stella Franklin. The scales must have been kept opposite the shop counter as they have an adjustable mirror attached to them so that the shop owner could keep watch on the children while they measured out the sweets.
White enamel weighing scales with cradle and dish at the front. The triangular back piece has a swing-arm encased in glass which shows the weight in 1/2ounze increments. This sits atop a circular stand that is fronted by a reverse engraved glass name plate. Everything sits on a rectangular base. Has a rectangular mirror that attaches to the top of the back piece via a jointed arm. On adjustable feet.
William and Thomas Avery were relatives of Joseph Balden, and inherited his scalemaking business when he died in 1813. (The firm’s claim to date back to 1730 is based on a liberal interpretation of the facts.) The firm was known as W&T Avery from about 1818 onwards. The name is seen on coin and apothecaries weights of the 1840's. By 1885 they had three factories: the Atlas Works in West Bromwich, the Mill Lane works in Birmingham, and the Moat Lane Works, Digbeth, also in Birmingham. The firm became a public limited liability company in 1894, and moved to the famous Soho Foundry in 1897. They set up branches in many towns (e.g. 29 Exchange Street, Sheffield, from 1897), and gradually took over many other firms in the scalemaking trade, in some cases retaining the original name. The business was itself taken over by GEC in 1979. In 1993 GEC also acquired the Berkel company, and the Avery-Berkel name was introduced. In 2000, the business was aquired by the US company Weigh-Tronix, who already owned Salter, and became known as Avery Weigh-Tronix
Whole height: 515mm
Plaque Engraved On top of base: REGISTERED NO 729.822 Mc No A603/9133 AVERY LTD BIRMINGHAM PATENT Nos 295432.258401
Entry Number 1707 (2007-08-29)