Metal street sign from "Chequers Lane". Rescued from the partially demolished buildings by the donor - the buildings that fronted the Ripple Road had been domilished, but not those that fronted Chequers Lane. The demolision of these buildings began in spring 2007, ready for the erection of public housing. The lane is named after the Chequers Inn which, from 1823 to the late 1980s, used stand nearby on Ripple Road (where Halfords now stands). The Chequers Public House was originally situated at the junction of old Halbutt Street and Broad Street, south of Church Elm. It would have taken its name from the fields it stood in. In 1879 the Inn contained seven bedrooms, a bar, a tap room, two parlours, a kitchen and cellars in the basement. Chequers Lane is an old primary route from the Thames to Ripple Road. In 1958 it was carrying up to 2000 vehicles a day. In 1563 it was known as "the Marshe Waye leading from Cockermouthe (a manor that stood nearby) to the Thames. In 1630 it was called Marsh Lane, and Breach Lane in 1752. It became know as Chequers Lane by 1875.
Rectangular metal sign. White with black lettering, surrounded by a black border. With 8 nail holes.
Whole length: 1142mm
Entry Number 1703 (2007-07-13)