Childs petticoat

Object number

LDVAL 2007.20.11


after 1935


Petticoat worn by Alan Edward Prevost (1935 - ), only child of Elizabeth Lilian Westover and Albert Edward Prevost.

The Westover family purchased Broomfields House, Chadwell Heath (now the site of Broomfield Road) in 1927. The first residents were William and Mary Ann Westover. The family's connection with Chadwell Heath stemmed from William's friendship with Mr Maskell of Grove Farm, Chadwell Heath and in 1923 William and Mary Ann's son, William, married Miss Ethel Maskell. Having established a sack and bag manufacturing business in Bethnal Green in 1910 the business flourished and by 1927 a large house with land was needed. Broomfields fitted the bill perfectly. The house was big enough to accommodate the five remaining children who were living at home and the land, which ran alongside the railway line, was ideal for drying the bacon wrappers that had been washed in Bethnal Green. There was also a wooden cottage named Woodcote which stood in the grounds fronting Broomfield Road. Broomfields House was demolished in 1957 and the 2 and three-quarter acres of land became the site of 32 houses.

Elizabeth “Lil” Lilian Westover (1905 – 2006) worked for the family business. In 1934 she married Albert Edward Prevost (1901 – 1986). They rented Woodcote after their marriage and their only child, Alan (1935 - ) was born there. They lived there until 1957, and later moved to Harold Wood and Cambridgeshire.

She was married from Broomfields House and had her wedding photographs taken in the garden there.

Physical description

Cream shiny gauze petticoat. Lace edging to neck and arm holes. Sleeveless. Empire line. 2 back ties. Pintuck band at bottom with broderie anglaise below at hem.




Child's petticoat


Whole length: 765mm
width: 255mm
width: 720mm
width: 305mm

Collection type

Social history

Alternative reference

Entry Number 1686/11 (2007-05-21)

Looking for records

Objects that are not on display in the museum can be viewed by appointment at the discretion of the Museum Curator. To find out more about accessing the collection please email: or telephone: 020 8227 2034

Write something

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *