Dickie Bird's Ice cream
after 1933 – before 1963
Enameled tin plate sign advertsing Dickie Bird's Ice cream. The factory known as Dicky Bird's produced a range of different products from 1937 to the early 1960s - from ice cream and lollies to novelty Christmas crackers. In addition there were cold storage services and oxy-acetylene welding facilities.
Dicky Bird's was established in a factory in Alfred's Way, Barking after 1933 when Ice cream had become popular throughout the world in the second half of the 20th century, after cheap refrigeration became common.
Dicky Bird's were well-known for were their delivery force which rode three-wheeler box cycles and later, motor bikes that took ice cream from door-to-door throughout southern Essex.
In January 1963 MICA (Ice Cream) Ltd was created from Dicky Bird Ltd and in the same year, Lyon's refrigerated food specialist, Douglas Minto was made a director and chief executive of the new company. The small independent Barking firm of Dicky Bird thus became part of the J. Lyons & Co. food empire.
Rectangluar tin plate sign. Yellow background with a grey bird (pigeon?) wearing a top hat, tailed jacket and blue pinstripe trousers, blue bow-tie and carrying a walking cane. Text is written in red, black white and blue.
Whole length: 607mm
Social history, Industry
Text Enameled On both sides: DICKY BIRD'S / Delicious / ICE CREAM / for HEALTH ENERGY / AND PLEASURE