Gas Light and Coke Company receipt
exact January 25th, 1937
Paper receipt for money collected from the gas meter at 317 Becontree Avenue Dagenham, the home of Mr J.W. Jones. Dated 25.3.1937. A total of 17s. and 9d. were paid to the Gas Light and Coke Company for the gas used and rental of a stove. Receipt number is J644544. Found behind the electricity meter in the above house.
Rectangular piece of white paper with perforations along the top and left hand sides where it has been torn from a duplicate book. Printed throughout in black ink with spaces for completion by hand. Has been completed in black ink but water damage has caused the ink to bleed and smudge, making it look purple.
Gas Light and Coke Company, Beckton. During most of its history much of Beckton was flat, low-lying marshland. In the 19th century, when the east of London was used to serve the needs of the west, the Gas Light and Coke Company bought 218 hectares (540 acres) in the area. In 1868 they started work on what eventually became Europe's largest gasworks. The works were built to serve the whole of London. This picture shows the part-built works during a visit by members of the Society of Engineers in September 1869. The construction of the gasworks was one of London's largest engineering projects. To celebrate the building of the works, the whole area around the site was named after Simon Adams Beck, the Governor of the Company.The actual construction project was under the direction of the civil engineers F. J. Evans, J. Orwell Phillips and V. Wyatt. They are shown here from left to right. The company decided to build the works just to the west of Barking Creek because it was close to the new docks. The Victoria Dock had opened in 1855 and the Albert Dock in 1880. Over the years, the Beckton works continued to grow, with new plant and machinery being added all the time. When fully developed, the works covered an area greater than the City of London! Beckton stopped making coal gas in the late 1960s after the discovery of natural reserves in the North Sea. This meant that manufactured gas became uneconomical. The Beckton works finally closed in 1967. (WWW. porcities.org.uk)
Whole length: 120mm
Entry Number 1547 (2004-01-24)