John Gascoyne Fanshawe (1746-1803), 6th of Parlsoes
John Gascoyne Fanshawe was the only son of Thomas Fanshawe (see no.17) and his wife Ann (nee Gascoyne). After studying at Westminster (1754-1763) and Oxford (1767-1770) he entered Lincoln's Inn (16th October 1766) and was called to the bar in 1775. In 1769 he became a commissioner of Bankruptcy and a J.P. for Essex. On 19th May 1772 he married Mary Parkinson (see. no.28), with whom he had five children, all born in London and baptised at St. Andrew's, Holborn: John (1773-1843) (see nos.23 & 38); Henry (1774-1854); Charles (1776-1800); Mary Annetta (1783-1840); Thomas Lewis (1792-1858) (see no.4). John's waistcoat is said to have measured 32.5 inches in length and 49 inches in girth. In 1793 he took up residence at Parsloes Manor House. John Gascoyne Fanshawe died on 23rd December 1803, perhapse after a long illness as his son Henry laid a foundation stone of the new church at Dagenham for him in 1801. He was first of the family to be buried in the vault of the Dagenham Parish Church.
Bust length portrait of a man wearing a brown coat with a sloping front and a falling collar. Beneath this is a matching waistcoat and he also wears a white stock with shirt frills below. He has white powdered hair. Body facing forward but with head turned to his right. Not looking at artist. Plain red/brown background.
'''George Keith Ralph''' ( fi. []-[]), portraitpainter; exhibited at the Royal Academy, 1778-96.
Whole height: 985mm
canvas height: 740mm
Visual arts, Fanshawe Portraits