Judgement at Chelmsford, Diocesean Pageant Play, 1939

Object number

LDVAL 2009.9.23


Church materials belonging to the donors Mother, Joyce Chipperfield (nee Stephens). Judgement at Chelmsford, Diocesean Pageant Play leaflet. Joyce was born on 17th December 1920 and attended Castle school and during the 1920's was a choir member at St John's Church, Goresbrook Road Becontree, where she met her furure husband Robert Chipperfield, who's family had moved from Croyden early in the decade, to the new Becontree Estate. Joyce and R.A.F Sergeant Robert were married at St Margaret's Church on 22nd July 1944. They lived at 5 Castle Road with Joyce's parents, Alfred and Florence. Joyce was Church organist at St John's Church and regularly filled in at St Cedd and St Alban Churches, even after the couple moved in 1954. Joyce was Church organist at St Patrick's Church, Barking, for many years. Joyce and Bob moved to Southend-on-Sea in1979. Bob passed away in 2003, and Joyce currently resides in a care home in Thundersley.

Physical description

Judgement at Chelmsford, Diocesean Pageant Play leaflet Sept, 23 - Oct, 7 1939. Yellow in colour with black print. Top centre of the front page shows the coat of arms of the Diocese of Chelmsford, a crossed sword and crook on a shiled with the Bishop's Mitre above. Inside the front cover is a list of pageant officers opposite which is a list of suggestions as to how people can become involved and help out. This page opens to reveal the last two pages which show a synopsis of the story and the price of the tickets. The back page lists the President, Vice-Presidents and the Patrons.






Whole length: 200mm
Whole width: 110mm

Collection type



Typescript Printed Front Page: Judgement at/ Chelmsford/ Diocesan Pageant Play/

Alternative reference

Entry Number 1757 (2009-06-08)

Looking for records

Objects that are not on display in the museum can be viewed by appointment at the discretion of the Museum Curator. To find out more about accessing the collection please email: valencehousemuseum@lbbd.gov.uk or telephone: 020 8227 2034

Write something

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *