Log book of Barking Church of England Girl's School, 1901-1919
January 4th, 1901 – January 5th, 1919
1 bound volume
Log book of Barking Church of england Girl's School, 1901-1919, recording scripture reports, lessons 'scheme of work', class organisation, staff, attendance and reasons for poor attendance, newly admitted students and students leaving, prize distribution, school holidays, teacher absences, Inspector reports, attendance of cooking and swimming centres, observation of public holidays eg ascension day, cases of measels, small pox and other infections, examinations, teacher resignations and appointments, medical inspections, school trips, effects of pea picking, hop picking and circus visits on attendance, teachers and elder girls helping with registration, student teacher certification, new equipment, lectures given, visits to the school, Diocesan examination,parents evenings, recording particularly appointment of Elizabeth Low as mistress of the school (1 December 1902), new cloakroom (15 July 1904), school closed for Barking Carnival (27 august 1908), Rebecca Simpson awarded a scholarship by Barking Education committee (23 July 1909), aviation exhibition (28 august 1913), transfer of Miss bone to boys school due to enlistment of male teachers (19 October 1914), a boy from the boys school honoured for winning the V.C and holiday granted (15 July 1915), Mrs Beckett absent due to husband leaving to join the grand fleet (13 November 1916), Girls attended war time cooing and food exhibition (15 May 1917), children dismissed due to air raid (14 June 1917) (3 October 1917), attendance poor due to air raid during the night (1 November 1917) (1 february 1918), attendance low due to children standing in food queues (18 January 1918), Armistice signed (11 November 1918).
Sir James Cambell, owner of Clayhall, by his will proved in 1642, gave £667 to fund a free school in Barking. By 1648 executors of his had built a school and a bought a house for the headmaster. Under the terms of the Barking Workhouse Act 1786, the school was taken over by the Barking Directors of the Poor. The school was reorganised to accommodate more places in 1810, and there were 200 pupils at the school by 1818. In 1824, the school came in union with the National Society. A new building was subsequently erected in the workhouse garden and by 1847 there were 335 pupils at the school. A further new building was erected in Back Lane costing £4000, this was enlarged in 1875 and again in 1889. The infants department built in 1896. The school came to be known as Barking Church of England School and then later St. Margaret's Church of England.
Conditions governing access
Open to research.
Conditions governing reproduction
At the discretion of the Borough Archivist.
Catalogued by Clare Sexton, Assistant Archivist in accordance with ISAD(G).