Log book of Barking Church of England Girl's School, 1919-1938
January 3rd, 1919 – January 21st, 1938
1 bound volume
Log book of Barking Church of England Girl's School, recording teacher absences, appointments, resignations and transfers, pupil admittance and school leavers, attendance of cookery and laundry centre, school trips, camp attendance, class organisation, observation of public holidays eg ash wednesday, holidays granted, attendance and reasons for low attendance, sports day, school holidays, swimming lessons, medical inspections, cleanliness inspections and visits from dentist, examinations,11+ exam, head teacher conferences, effects of pea and hop picking on attendance, particularly referring to Miss Bone returning from boys school where she served during the war (3 March 1919), Elizabeth Rhindt, Nellie Leach, Ellen Sawkins spent a week in holiday home (29 August 1919), Rose Forrest fell while skipping and cut her chin (24 Febraury 1921), classroom disinfected after case of scarlet fever (24 September 1921), exhibition of school work (23 February 1922), holiday for Princess Mary's marriage (27 February 1922), girls getting free meals were sick (21 July 1922), holiday for wedding od Duke of York (25 april 1923), holiday for King and Queen visit to Barking park (12 June 1923) (19 April 1925), school closed due to epidemic of measles and influenza (6 february 1924), school decorated (23 August 1926), special lessons on health (17 September 1926), girls gave first aid deonstration at Central Hall (9 October 1928), gardening instruction began on new ground in Upney (11 April 1929), report books accidentally destroyed (9 December 1929), Charter celebrations (6 October 1931), senior school wrote essays on animal cruelty (22 Febraury 1933), jubilee celebrations (6 May 1935), police gave lecture on safety (27 June 1935), holiday for centenary of local government (3 October 1935), holiday for marriage of Duke of Gloucester (5 November 1935), William Burrows became head teacher (1 September 1936), Mr Burrows retired (31 January 1938).
Sir James Cambell, owner of Clayhall, by his will proved in 1642, gave £667 to fund a free school in Barking. By 1648 executors of his had built a school and a bought a house for the headmaster. Under the terms of the Barking Workhouse Act 1786, the school was taken over by the Barking Directors of the Poor. The school was reorganised to accommodate more places in 1810, and there were 200 pupils at the school by 1818. In 1824, the school came in union with the National Society. A new building was subsequently erected in the workhouse garden and by 1847 there were 335 pupils at the school. A further new building was erected in Back Lane costing £4000, this was enlarged in 1875 and again in 1889. The infants department built in 1896. The school came to be known as Barking Church of England School and then later St. Margaret's Church of England.
Conditions governing access
Open to research.
Conditions governing reproduction
At the discretion of the Borough Archivist.
Catalogued by Clare Sexton, Assistant Archivist in accordance with ISAD(G).