Log book of Barking Church of England Infant School, 1928-1938
January 4th, 1928 – January 30th, 1938
1 bound volume
Log book of the Infants Department at Barking Church of England School (later known as St. Margaret's Church of England School) (1928-1938), recording attendance, medical and cleanliness inspections, school holidays, teacher's absences and supply teachers, fire drills, teaching staff at the beginning of each year, conferences and meetings attended by head teacher, reports on religious instruction and religious knowledge, parents visits, observation of public holidays and festivals eg armistice day, empire day, ascension day and harvest festivals, and teachers resignations. With particular references to: school sports day (28 June 1928), visit of director of education (5 September 1929), address by the head teacher on significance of remembrance day and the need for peace (11 November 1929), extended breaks for sunshine (27 February 1930), head teachers talk to students about Charter Day and distribution of Charter medallions (2 October 1931), school closed for charter day celebrations (3 October 1931), opening of industrial exhibition pageant (6 October 1931), re-organisation of school classes after resignation of Miss Joslin (20 October 1931), report on the school inspection (14 July 1932) (28 June 1935), fire in nearby building (26 September 1932), new head mistress (1 September 1933), George Cooper from class 3 injured walking into a teacher (16 October1933), simple concert (20 December 1933), Barking music festival 17 February 1934), window cleaners (2 May 1934), infectious diseaes reported (25 June 1934), arts and crafts exhibition (27-29 June 1934), examination of school floors- floor levelled and two rooms made into one hall (17 July 1934), milk scheme in operation (1 October 1934), Miss Campbell gave a talk on the milk fairies (19 Novemer 1934), day off for wedding of Prince George (29 November 1934), christmas party (19 December 1934), Margaret Godwin aged 5 caught under right eye by a stone thrown by another child, decided squint (7 February 1935), 23 children competing at London musical festival (6 april 1935), Jubilee day celebrations (6 May 1935). Charles Towsey fell in playground hurt teeth and lower lip (17 September 1935), David Owen fell and cut his chin (25 September 1935), flood to school (4 October 1935), Mrs Williams reported accident to her childs foot (11 October 1935), school closed for wedding of Duke of Gloucester (6 November 1935), Peggy Rayment acted strange and collapsed taken to St Georges Hospital (13 November 1935), gas stove installed (6 December 1935), school closed for funeral of King George (28 January 1936), Opening of upstairs classroom for children before they move up to new school (4 August 1936), teachers begin drill sessions (8 September 1936), compete in singing games competition (20 March 1937), coronation celebrations (11 May 1937).
Sir James Cambell, owner of Clayhall, by his will proved in 1642, gave £667 to fund a free school in Barking. By 1648 executors of his had built a school and a bought a house for the headmaster. Under the terms of the Barking Workhouse Act 1786, the school was taken over by the Barking Directors of the Poor. The school was reorganised to accommodate more places in 1810, and there were 200 pupils at the school by 1818. In 1824, the school came in union with the National Society. A new building was subsequently erected in the workhouse garden and by 1847 there were 335 pupils at the school. A further new building was erected in Back Lane costing £4000, this was enlarged in 1875 and again in 1889. The infants department built in 1896. The school came to be known as Barking Church of England School and then later St. Margaret's Church of England.
Conditions governing access
Open to research.
Conditions governing reproduction
At the discretion of the Borough Archivist.
Catalogued by Clare Sexton, Assistant Archivist in accordance with ISAD(G).