Log book of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic School, 1827-1981
1927 – 1981
Barking Catholic school is first mentioned in the parish records in 1859. This consisted of two rooms to accommodate infants. Between 1859 and 1927 this school located on William Street was gradually enlarged, to accommodate school children of all ages. In 1927 the infant and junior pupils were transferred to a new school situated in Morley Road, which became known as St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic School. Children at the school were among those evacuated to Somerset during the Second World War. On April 20th 1941, St. Joseph’s School was completed destroyed by enemy bombing. The returning evacuees were subsequently housed in the school’s old premises on William Street, and then the site of St. Ethelburga’s School on Lintons Road. However as attendance numbers continued to increase the senior pupils were housed on the top floor of Northbury School, North Street. Various attempts were made to rebuild the school in the post war period but it was continually drop from building programme of Barking Borough Council. Finally the building of the new St. Joseph’s School was started in Gascoigne Road in 1967, and was completed in February 1969.
Conditions governing access
Open to research.
Conditions governing reproduction
At the discretion of the Borough Archivist.
Catalogued by Clare Sexton, Assistant Archivist in accordance with ISAD(G).