Log books of St. Margaret's Church of England Girl's School, 1901-1931
1901 – 1931
2 bound volumes
This collection comprises the log books of the Girl's Department at St. Margaret's Church of England School (1901-1931).
Sir James Cambell, owner of Clayhall, by his will proved in 1642, gave £667 to fund a free school in Barking. By 1648 executors of his had built a school and a bought a house for the headmaster. Under the terms of the Barking Workhouse Act 1786, the school was taken over by the Barking Directors of the Poor. The school was reorganised to accommodate more places in 1810, and there were 200 pupils at the school by 1818. In 1824, the school came in union with the National Society. A new building was subsequently erected in the workhouse garden and by 1847 there were 335 pupils at the school. A further new building was erected in Back Lane costing £4000, this was enlarged in 1875 and again in 1889. The infants department built in 1896. The school came to be known as Barking Church of England School and then later St. Margaret's Church of England.
Conditions governing access
Open to research.
Conditions governing reproduction
At the discretion of the Borough Archivist.
Catalogued by Clare Sexton, Assistant Archivist in accordance with ISAD(G).