Mary Fanshawe (1675-1713), wife of John Fanshawe, 3rd of Parsloes

Object number



after 1675 – before 1713


Mary Fanshawe was the daughter of John Coke and Mary Leventhorpe, Granddaughter of Mary Leventhorpe (LDVAL 30) and great-granddaughter of Alice Bedell (LDVAL 529). On 21st November 1695 she married, at Barking, John Fanshawe, 3rd of Parsloes (LDVAL 43) with whom she had four children: Thomas (1696-1758) (LDVAL 1); John (1697-1763) (LDVAL 44); Susannah (1698-1759) (LDVAL 39); Charles (1699-1757) (LDVAL 530). In September 1709 Mary was the largest recorded landowner and contributor to the assessment levied on meadow lands drowned by the two breaches of the Dagenham River wall. As per her will, she was buried next to her husband in Barking Church on 9th June 1713. Stolen 1971.

A near identical copy of this portrait is held by the Government Art Collection. This version is by Michael Dahl, and although very similar to the Valence House portrait, distinct differences can be seen, particulalry in the rendering of the facial features. It has been surmised that the GAC version was comissioned by John Fanshawe (LDVAL 44), son of Mary, when Dahl painted his portrait.

A near identical portrait of Mary Fanshawe was discovered at Melbourne Hall in August 2013. Due to its location on display at the top of a stairwell, it is unclear how similar this portrait is to the Valence House portrait. Coindidentally, Lord Kerr (of Melbourne Hall) is a local agent for Sotheby's Auction House.

Physical description

Bust length portrait of young lady in pale dress with a scooped neckline. There is heavy frilling around the neckline and the dress has large puffed sleeves. She has a dark shawl over her head and shoulders. Her hair is up and decorated. Set on a plain background with a feigned oval mount.


Portrait Painting


Whole length: 762mm
width: 635mm

Collection type

Visual arts, Fanshawe Portraits

Looking for records

Objects that are not on display in the museum can be viewed by appointment at the discretion of the Museum Curator. To find out more about accessing the collection please email: or telephone: 020 8227 2034

Write something

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *