1930 – 1939
B/W photograph showing the Roundhouse Embassy Band. The pianist in the photograph is Edwin (Eddie) Orford, maternal uncle of the donor. Mr Orford lived in Upton Park. The Roundhouse P.H. was built in 1935/36 at the junction of Lodge Avenue and Porters Avenue, on the Barking side of the Becontree Estate. Its name came from its distinct circular design on ground level.
Black and white photograph showing a five piece band on a low stage. In the back row is the drummer and the pianist.In the front are two saxophone players and a trumpet player. The first saxophonist also plays a violin, which is on the floor to his right. The second saxophone player also plays a larger saxophone and a violin, both of which are on the floor to his right. The trumpet player also plays the clarinet which is in a stand to his right. They all wear white jackets with black lapels and cuffs, black trousers and white shirts with a black bow tie. On the wall behind them are banners that bare the Embassy Band logo - an E inside an inverted triangle. This logo is also on the front of their music stands. In the foreground are wooden tables and chairs, upon which is a single, white ceramic cup.
Whole length: 212mm
Entry Number 1648/3