Public House front door
Black painted wooden pub door with one large decorative stained glass panel with clear, blue, orange, yellow and red panes. This is one of the items salvaged from the Church Elm Public House on Church Elm Lane, Dagenham, Essex, RM10 9QS, prior to its demolition in August 2008. The Church Elm is an ancient site; it is mentioned as the ?Cherchehelm? in 1456. Early maps do not show a building at the present site until the first OS map of 1805. An alehouse appeared in Church Elm Lane circa 1839 and it is thought that this probably became the Church Elm. In 1919 the Church Elm was compulsorily purchased by the LCC; it was then owned by Glenny brewery, Barking. The Church Elm was rebuilt by the LCC and reopened as thee ?New Church Elm? in October 1927. The building which was demolished in 2008 was dated 1929 on rain-hoppers.
The door itself is wooden, with a stained glass panel covering the top half of it. The panel consists of clear, blue, orange, yellow and red square panes. There are 7 panes by 5 panes.The central part of this is a floral design in red and blue panes. This is surrounded by a block of yellow square panes and this is then surrounded by a row of clear panes going all the way around.
Whole length: 2130mm
Upper door panel: Stained glass
Entry Form 1736 (2008-08-15)