R. White's Stoneware Bottle

Object number

LDVAL 2010.10.1

Description

Stoneware bottle used for the storage of R. White's carbonated drinks. From the R. White's factory on the Bifrons estate, formally owned by HF Van, who sold his company to R. Whites & sons in 1890. The factory continued until 1972/73 when it was demolished and the company moved to Beckton. While operational The R White's factory in Barking was the biggest drinks factory in the country.

Physical description

Brown, glazed. R. White name engraved along top edge of bottle, around the bottom half of the bottle the name R. White plus the letters RECD and the word LONDON are engraved. There is also a line engraved around the bottle one-third from base. There are small chips around the base of the bottle.

Condition

Good

Type

Storage equipment

Size

height: 180mm
Diameter - top: 30mm
Diameter - bottom: 70.5mm

Collection type

Social history, Industry

Looking for records

This material can be accessed by appointment in our reading room, which is situated in the Visitor’s Centre at Valence House Museum. To make an appointment please email: localstudies@lbbd.gov.uk or telephone 020 8227 2033

Gallery

Metadata
InstitutionValence House Museum
TypeStorage equipment
Collection type
Social history
Industry