Reverend John Fanshawe (1773-1843), 7th of Parsloes
after 1800 – before 1843
John Fanshawe was the eldest son of John Gascoyne Fanshawe (See no.32) and his wife Mary Parkinson. He was ordained deacon in 1796. Owing to some hunting incident in the field, the Bishop of London refused to ordain him priest, but the Bishop of Sodor and Man did so in 1802. He was perpetual curate of Torrington, North Devon, and later Vicar of Frodsham, Cheshire. He was a fine scholar and a keen sportsman. He altered the house of Parsloes, completely changing its Tudor appearance, by re-facing it and adding battlements and new windows in the taste of the period. He died unmarried. (See also no.23).
Bust length portrait of a man wearing a black jacket with a black revered waistcoat underneath. Beneath this is a white shirt and he has a high white stock with a small box at its base. He has receding grey hair and is clean shaven with whiskers. Set on a plain brown/red background.
Whole height: 800mm
Canvas height: 650mm
Visual arts, Fanshawe Portraits