Jackson & Co. (Barking) LTD telephone dircetory. Given away as a free gift to staff and clients, and designed to be hung on a wall. Jackson & Co were founded by Daniel T Jackson in the 1870s and were based in Ripple Road, Barking. They traded as Daniel T. Jackson Limited and were public works contractors, working for H.M.O.W., War Office, Post Office, Railways. L.C.C., and the Corporation of London. Daniel T. Jackson died in 1928, but an advert for the 1931 Industrial Exhibition in Barking shows they were still trading as Daniel T Jackson Limited. By 1944 they had become Jackson & Co (barking) Limited, Builders Merchants. By 1961 they had moved their business to St Erkenwald Road, Barking, where they shared offices with Westbank Rubber Company (to whom they were linked through marriage). An advert shows that Jackson & Co (Barking) Ltd were still trading in Barking in 1983. The donor worked for Jackson & Co., and then went to work for Westbank Rubber, where he was given this item. Unused.
Red rectangular board with a triangular top, which has a reinforced hole in the centre. Attached to the front are 13 lift-up flaps, with the top flap bearing the name and details of Jackson & Co. The other twelve each have 2 or 3 letters of the alphabet printed on them. Each flap lifts to reveal areas for the insertion of contact details, comprising the contacts name, the name of the telephone exchange and the telephone number.All visible serfaces are covered in red synthetic leather.
Whole length: 285mm
Inscription Stamped On top flap: JACKSON & CO. (BARKING) LTD. BUILDERS’ MERCHANTS ST. ERKENWALD ROAD BARKING ESSEX TELEPHONE. RIPPLEWAY 3495 – 6 - 7