The New Generation
Coloured pamphlet advertising Barking Power Station. Gives background information on the history, development and use of the Barking Power Station site.
King George V opened the coal-fired Barking Power Station in 1925 although it had been running for some months before this official ceremony. It was built to provide electricity for a large part of Essex as well as for part of Kent and, by the time its four separate sections were completed, it was the largest steam powered station in Europe with a total output of some 100 megawatts of electricity. This electricity was fed into the National Grid for general consumption.
The site, where River Road, Barking, meets the Thames, was chosen because it was easily accessible for the constant stream of coal ships bringing deliveries.
With the decline in coal-produced electricity, the Station started a redundancy programme in the 1970s and finally closed in November 1981. The buildings were then demolished.
Today, a new Barking Power Station exists, sited in Chequers Road, Dagenham, beside the Breach. Construction started in March 1992 and it took 2000 people three years to build. The Station was commissioned in 1995.
This was the first independent power project in southeast England to operate within the newly privatised electricity industry and was the first large generating station to be built in Greater London for more than 30 years. Run by Thames Power, a company jointly owned by Atco Power and Balfour Beatty, the plant is gas-fired and uses advanced combined-cycle technology. This enhances fuel efficiency and reduces emissions by utilising the heat recovered from the gas turbine to power a steam turbine to generate more electricity.
Running 24 hours a day for 365 days a year, the Station has a 1000 megawatt output with one of the best environmental records in Europe and provides more than 20% of London's peak need or over one-third of its annual consumption.
Conditions governing reproduction
A4 sized 4 page colour printed pamphlet. Page 1: Coloured photograph of "view of the power station nearing completion across Dagenham Breach", plus introductory panel and begining of text. Page 2: Continuation of text, coloured photograph of "From the Control Room every aspect of operations in both Blocks 1 and 2 - in effect two seperate power stations - can be controlled", plus additional information panel. Page 3: Continuation of text, plus colour photo of "A crane lifts the tunnel boring machine - used for the cooling water discharge tunnel - from the Thames. Page 4: Completion of text, coloured photograph of "At 55 meters the chimneys are low compared with traditional power stations", plus facts and figures about the Power Station.
Whole length: 297.5mm
Entry Number 1632 (2005-08-30)