Wedding gloves worn by Albert Edward Prevost in 1934
Wedding gloves worn by Albert Edward Prevost in 1934.
The Westover family purchased Broomfields House, Chadwell Heath (now the site of Broomfield Road) in 1927. The first residents were William and Mary Ann Westover. The family's connection with Chadwell Heath stemmed from William's friendship with Mr Maskell of Grove Farm, Chadwell Heath and in 1923 William and Mary Ann's son, William, married Miss Ethel Maskell. Having established a sack and bag manufacturing business in Bethnal Green in 1910 the business flourished and by 1927 a large house with land was needed. Broomfields fitted the bill perfectly. The house was big enough to accommodate the five remaining children who were living at home and the land, which ran alongside the railway line, was ideal for drying the bacon wrappers that had been washed in Bethnal Green. There was also a wooden cottage named Woodcote which stood in the grounds fronting Broomfield Road. Broomfields House was demolished in 1957 and the 2 and three-quarter acres of land became the site of 32 houses.
Elizabeth “Lil” Lilian Westover (1905 – 2006) worked for the family business. In 1934 she married Albert Edward Prevost (1901 – 1986). They rented Woodcote after their marriage and their only child, Alan (1935 - ) was born there. They lived there until 1957, and later moved to Harold Wood and Cambridgeshire.
They were married from Broomfields House and had their wedding photographs taken in the garden there.
Gents kid leather gloves. Cream coloured, wrist length with single button fasteneing. Three stiched seems on the back of the hand.
Whole length: 240mm
Entry Number 1686/6 (2007-05-10)