William Fanshawe (1583-1634), 1st of Parsloes
after 1613 – before 1634
William was the second son of Thomas fanshawe, 2nd Remebrancer (See no.36) and his second wife Joan Smythe. He is the common ancestor of all the present branches of the family. William was baptised at Christchurch, Newgate Street, London on 4th May 1583. William was made Auditor of the Duchy of Lancaster (1617) and M.P. for Clithero four times between 1614 and 1625. He purchased the Manor of Parsloes, Dagenham, Essex, in 1619 and it remained in the possession of his descendants until 1916. In 1631 William purchased the site of the monastery (Abbey) of Barking from Matthew Stilte, three years after his brother Sir Thomas (See nos.5, 10 & LDVAL 2005.5.2) purchased the manor of Barking. His other properties included the estate of Great Singleton (purchased 1623), Mighalgh in Myerscough, Swyneshead (later Swineshead, purchased in 1623), and the Calder Vacary. On 12 December 1615 he married Katherine (See no.6), daughter of John Wolstenholme, at St. Olave's, Hart Street. Together they had seven children: Katherine (1616-1671); John (1620-1689) (See no.37); Alce (1621-1632); Thomas (1622 - d. young); Thomas (1627-1666); Elsabeth (b. and d. 1631); William (1632-1650). William Fanshawe died at his residence in St. Sepulchre's parish on 4th March 1634/5, and was buried at Barking
Bust length portrait of a man turned to his left. He has facial hair around the mouth. He is wearing a dark top with an almost luminescent white lace collar. On a plain dark background.
Artist: Cornelius Johnson (1593 - 1661) Cornelius Johnson was born in London to Flemish parents. He probably trained in Holland before opening up his London practice in 1618. He remained in England until the outbreak of the Civil War in 1643 when he moved back to Holland. His output includes several hundred portraits of subjects from upper society
Whole height: 945mm
Plate height: 710mm
Visual arts, Fanshawe Portraits